Portrait of a Teacher Principles of Democracy.

When I think about democracy, I think about diversity, equality and justice which are essential values in a democratic society.  In my life as a citizen, student and future teacher Ive had the benefit of experiencing these values.  I am fortunate to live in a diverse society in which I have been able to maintain relationships with people of different ethnicities, cultures, religions, socioeconomic status, and beliefs.  This has enriched my life and helped me to be open-minded.  There is beauty and knowledge in diversity.  Every person I meet is valuable as a human being and has something to teach me.  Likewise, others can learn from me.  For the most part, I have experienced equality and justice throughout my life.  I have the same rights and opportunities as others in my society, and I am treated fairly in my day to day life. I have the right to practice the religion of my choice. I am able to pursue my career goals.  In essence, I am free to live my life the way I choose as long as I do not interfere with the rights of others. 
   
In spite of this, experience has shown me that everyone in my society does not enjoy the principles of democracy at the same level.    In other words, because of discrimination various groups of people may not receive equal treatment.  For example, people are often treated differently based on physical appearance such as skin color, obesity, and even the manner in which they dress. With this in mind, I know that as a future teacher, it is my responsibility to create a learning environment that helps to alleviate discrimination and foster the values of democracy.
  
In my classroom I plan promote a sense of unity and belonging among all students.  I will teach about the beauty of diversity, and how we are all unique with special talents and abilities.  Equally important we will learn about our commonalities.  My classroom will be child-centered, and students will have the opportunity to participate, by voting, in the decision-making process.  For instance, sometimes students will be presented with several options for class activities and projects, and they will vote for the final selection.  Students will also have the chance to create individual projects and complete assignments based on their own interests and learning goals.  I will make an effort to avoid sex-role stereotypes, and encourage children to explore interest that are usually associated with members of the opposite gender.  Additionally, I will have students participate in team projects so they learn to work with others and to appreciate the contributions of others.  My goal as a teacher is to help students develop into well-rounded and responsible human beings who are able to live successfully in a diverse and global society.

0 comments:

Post a Comment